20 m.p.h. Speed limit in the Triangle

Would you like a 20 m.p.h. Speed limit in the Oakmount Triangle?

• Total voters

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
EDIT 9/11/21:

SCC are about to determine the areas for the 20 m.p.h. speed limit.

If you have not already voted please please click on one of the voting options and then on the Cast Vote button to register your interest in a 20 m.p.h. speed limit in the triangle!

If you have voted, thank you very much, keep your fingers crossed.

Residents have reported a fair amount of speeding vehicles. SCC are considering 20 m.p.h. speed limits in residential areas. See

Cllr Moulton added: "We're open to residents if they want to come to us proactively for their areas.”

Please feel free to discuss this and let us know how you feel. I am very happy for OTRA to contact SCC about this on behalf of all residents.

Last edited:
Yes please! The ‘backside’ of the triangle on WC is a particular issue. I would actually support restricting to 15mph as on Orchards Way. It doesn’t drastically effect journey times.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
I think at the moment, to keep things simple, let's go for 20 as that is what is on offer. If we get some consultation we can always ask for 15. Uplands Estate can set what they want as it is privately owned I believe.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete, I did wonder if that was the case. I assume this is via a TRO (traffic regulation order) and there might be fixed amounts that can be requested.

And actually, looking at the following, anything other than 20mph requires Secretary of State approval: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/setting-local-speed-limits

do OTRA need to help with the case? Or will SCC make it on our behalf? If we are helping I would suggest looking at vulnerable road users as part of the application, especially with access to the common and the new crossing on the Avenue making this a popular route to local green space.

kate whyley

Resident
Absolutely - would really appreciate on Blenhiem Avenue as especially in the evenings people can race from one end to the other (and probably all around the triangle).

As a side note our garage was broken into last Wednesday evening. Nothing was taken. We have had tradesmen on site for about five weeks, so we think they were looking for tools. Any recommendations for garage repair businesses greatly appreciated

Yes would appreciate it for children and pet purposes especially. Sometimes the cars are moving at such speed - you know they could not stop on time if required to.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
If we are helping I would suggest looking at vulnerable road users as part of the application,
Yes I will definitely mention that we get lots of cyclists. We also have dangerous bottle necks for them, for example caused by a sudden increase in density of parking as you get to the top of Oakmount or Westbourne

naylor38

Resident
At last! My only question is why it has taken them so long to get around to it! Though - to be fair- our city has been a long time getting round to doing something that has been an open possibility for years. Portsmouth has been much stricter on speed limits in residential areas for years. People come storming up BA as though they have an imminent appointment at the end of the universe. You can walk across the Triangle in less than 10 minutes without getting puffed. And please let's not hear any of those argumemts about 'it won't be observed, anyway', or 'it'll just mean more street furniture'.

rgh

Committee
Conservation
We should inform the residents before we submit and see if any objections. I would guess very few.

John Marshall

Committee
Conservation
Yes, this has been batting around since the days of Roger. We asked periodically but were told it was very much reserved for 20 mph zones around schools where it mattered. Or it would have to be the entire city. So, times have changed and we must grab the opportunity.

kansas

Resident
Residents have reported a fair amount of speeding vehicles. SCC are considering 20 m.p.h. speed limits in residential areas. See

Cllr Moulton added: "We're open to residents if they want to come to us proactively for their areas.”

Please feel free to discuss this and let us know how you feel. I am very happy for OTRA to contact SCC about this on behalf of all residents.

I have attached a poll to the top of this thread, please click on one of the voting options and then on the Cast Vote button
Hi Pete,
Thank you for taking this initiative. We fully support this and indeed the 30mph on the Avenue which unfortunately not many people observe.
As a separate issue, it now takes double the time to access the M3 North due to the knee-jerk Covid initiatives that are still in place with temporary plastic cones on the Avenue/Burgess road intersection and cycle lanes that are virtually unused. We regularly see Council survey personnel at the Avenue/Glen Eyre Rd. intersection which is virtually a non-issue, but never see them at the Burgess Rd/Avenue intersection. However the coordination of traffic light signals between Burgess Rd. and the Highfield Lane appears to be non-existent leading to chaos for all parties even in non-rush hour traffic. It looks amateurish > 1 year on, has not yielded any benefits but led to increased frustrations for the vast majority of users and added to air pollution due to increased static traffic.
BTW separately I wrote to the Council > 1 year ago on the failure to renew/update signage on the Common, due to the risks to pedestrians from speeding cyclists, electric bikes/scooters and also the fact that they continually use pedestrian only walkways- in fairness to cyclists, this is in part due to faded/eroded signage. I got a very courteous response, but here we are > 1 year on with many millions spent on road cycleways, but still no signage updated on the Common.
We wish you every success on the 20MPH issue and have our full support and apologise if we have distracted from the main issue with my comments above.
Best regards,
John O'Dea

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
Anyone who has made comments here , please make sure you also voted on the poll at the top of the thread - tick your choice and then click or tap (for phones/tablets) on the Cast Vote button

I'll be contacting Cllr Moulton within the next couple of days

apologise if we have distracted from the main issue with my comments above.
No problem John, but you might like to copy your cycle comments over to the thread we have about the cycle lanes here:

No problem in restarting that discussion.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
The other day I found another flat hedgehog in Westbourne Crescent :( . This speed limit isn't the ultimate solution of course, but it may help a bit. I think we are especially at risk due the the bottle necks at the top of Oakmount and Westbourne (Thanks UoS!). people speed up the road because it seems wide, then suddenly get to the parked up uni commuters bit and slam the brakes on. Children, cyclists, pets and wildlife are all in danger. Adults too of course.

BTW, our ward councillor Gordon Cooper has now added a note of support to our application. Thank you Gordon!

Please vote - click on one of the voting options at the top of this thread and then on the Cast Vote button to register your interest in a 20 m.p.h. speed limit in the Triangle!

Last edited:
Parking down this side does seem to have got a bit silly again now that the university is in session, but I guess it does bring the speed down a bit too.