• OTRA Coronavirus Neighbourly Care

If you would like any help with supplies or just a chat, we have a list of volunteers and Coronavirus info see here

Art and Crafts Trail or Stall

I am interested in organising what I would loosely call an Arts and Crafts Trail in the Triangle, once we are out of lockdown and feel confident enough to mingle a little ~ maybe in mid May or June. It might work well on the same day as Clare’s wonderful Plant Sale.

I think quite a few neighbours have been turning to arts and crafts or turning out their cupboards during our time indoors! The idea would be to set up a few stalls spaced out around the Triangle, just using chairs or outdoor tables, to display paintings, etchings, knitted or crocheted items, photos, bric-a-brac, books etc and for the money from any sales to be donated to OTRA and Southampton Basics Food Bank.

Please let me know your thoughts, either on this forum or you could email me on benning.family@btinternet.com

Christine Benning
21 Leigh Road

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
I presume selling is optional, it would be nice to encourage everyone whether they bare selling or not. Something kids can get involved in too

I presume selling is optional, it would be nice to encourage everyone whether they bare selling or not. Something kids can get involved in too
Yes, you are right. It would be lovely if children want to join in. Also there are a number of professional crafters and artists who might like to display and sell their work. In the case of professionals, it would be good to ask people viewing their work for a donation to the cause. I would like to collect email addresses of anyone interested in displaying their arts and crafts so I can keep in touch with them and eventually make an information “map“ of the Trail to put on the OTRA website.

Toni Rolles

Resident
One of our boys lives in a suburb of Brussels-Uccle. One weekend we visited they had an art trail round a few of their little streets- inside and outside of houses and gardens. It was great, and had obviously become an annual event, finishing with some locally produced music and food.Personally lockdown has helped us to get to know and appreciate our neighbours more than at any time since we moved here 9 years ago, hopefully this greater sense of community will continue.

Just wondering if there are a few more people who would like to display their arts or crafts? It can be arranged as an exhibition with viewers paying a donation to see the work or as a sale of work in aid of Basics Bank and OTRA. I plan to display a mix of paintings, with some for sale. A few members of the Art Group that I am in have pledged to donate some paintings too, which is very exciting, as they are very good! I do hope others will be happy to display their work in the interest of getting together again, having fun and raising money. (Covid regulations permitting of course).
Clare is planning to announce the date of the Arts, Crafts and Plant Trail very soon! Watch this space!

That’s kind of you Jenny. I hope we will be able to incorporate a bread and cakes stall and a book stall, so will add your name to the list of potential helpers (Toni and Jenny).

Toni Rolles

Resident
I will have lots of books because we are having a cull. I think Christine mentioned a sort of theme of things we have been doing during lock down. I did a bit of print making and there are 2 other very good print makers in Highfield, not in the triangle, so they might be persuaded to bring some of their work, not necessarily for sale, but would be interesting, particularly if they displayed some of their equipment. My husband, Chris, spent a lot of time during lockdown renovating clocks, crystal set radios and 2 magic lanterns. If the weather was good I think some people would be interested to look at them - and he loves talking about them.

Lyn B

Resident
I can sell the socks I've knitted (and if anyone has random bits of wool to pass on, please donate to me!)

Toni, I love the idea of
I can sell the socks I've knitted (and if anyone has random bits of wool to pass on, please donate to me!)
Clare and I had a chat/walk last week and hope to have a specific craft stall, so there would be the option of having the socks there, or perhaps having a second crafts stall.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
I've just had a phone chat with @Christine Benning and it could be a good idea for anyone interested to have a meeting.

We could do this via zoom, suggested time is Tue (16th march) at 8.30

Let us know and I'll set this up.