• OTRA Coronavirus Neighbourly Care

Please look out for the more vulnerable residents - help with shopping, keep in touch if they are in isolation.

If you would like any help with supplies or just a chat, we have a list of volunteers see here

We have started a discussion on the forum for residents who are registered with OTRA see here

Digging for victory... seedling exchange and distribution; spare small pots; help for new veg growers

Laurie

Resident
Morning everyone - my first veg seedlings are making an appearance (hurrah!) and I wondered if this might be a good time to make any extras available for neighbours who are interested in starting to grow their own. As I thin and repot them, I will post here. Hopefully will have some romanesco caulis and some interesting tomato plants soon.

If you buy potted herb plants from the supermarket, could you please save the pots? we will need more if we are exchanging plants...

Would also like to use this space to exchange help and advice for anyone struggling with veg gard - pooling experience could be really helpful right now.

Clare Price

Resident
I’m planning an alternative plant sale- was going to post message saying it will start soon as plants become ready I will put display out daily with honesty box but this year I would like donations to go to SCRATCH the charity that runs the food bank in Southampton a
and anyone who has plants to donate can bring round in usual way and leave in the drive and I’ll sort out. Do you think that’s ok?

Laurie

Resident
I’m planning an alternative plant sale- was going to post message saying it will start soon as plants become ready I will put display out daily with honesty box but this year I would like donations to go to SCRATCH the charity that runs the food bank in Southampton a
and anyone who has plants to donate can bring round in usual way and leave in the drive and I’ll sort out. Do you think that’s ok?
Thanks so much! I think that would be great - in a way it will be good to have plants as they are ready, so that people can get started planting as soon as possible.

Lyn B

Resident
How about saving yogurt pots, and any single use plastic packaging that really can't be avoided but would go in bin? I've been giving yogurt pots to Clare. (re: If you buy potted herb plants from the supermarket, could you please save the pots? we will need more if we are exchanging plants... )

JULI SPARROW

Resident
Morning everyone - my first veg seedlings are making an appearance (hurrah!) and I wondered if this might be a good time to make any extras available for neighbours who are interested in starting to grow their own. As I thin and repot them, I will post here. Hopefully will have some romanesco caulis and some interesting tomato plants soon.

If you buy potted herb plants from the supermarket, could you please save the pots? we will need more if we are exchanging plants...

Would also like to use this space to exchange help and advice for anyone struggling with veg gard - pooling experience could be really helpful right now.
What an excellent idea, thanks Laurie.

So pleased we are going ahead with plant sale/swap. I think I will have some extra tomato seedlings. Apparently there is a national shortage of grow bags! Everyone is gardening and bread making at the moment!
George Becket Nursery in Otterbourne will deliver compost, plants (flowering) and veg plants to the area. http://www.georgebeckett.co.uk/

RichardSharman

Resident
Plant swap sounds a good idea!

Yes, we are gardening and bread making too ! Diane has baked loaves, rolls, and cakes, but has now exhausted our supply of flour. In an enquiry to the local supermarket we hear that bread flour is in short supply, and often stockpiled out. Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve unnecessary journeys or face to face meetings for those of us self isolating?

Also, I've dug our vegetable patch and folded in the contents of last year's compost bin (quite well rotted). Diane has obtained some seeds from Simply Seeds (Nottingham) which arrived by post this week. We have seeds for all the usual items: beans, tomatoes, lettuce, beetroot, etc. We saved numerous plastic food trays from previous shopping expeditions and plan to use them as seed trays, with regular plant compost hoarded from last year. One problem though: our old runner bean poles from previous years were getting in such a state that we threw them away in the autumn planning to get new ones this spring from a garden centre, or some such. Alas, frustrated in that now.... ! Any ideas on how to solve this conundrum ?

I ordered a couple of garden arches and am going to use them for beans. If will be interesting to see if it works. I used canes last year from Portswood hardware and that worked fairly well but the beans overshot the top of the canes.
P. S. Does everyone know that the Council has suspended garden waste and bottle collection?

Lyn B

Resident
Can you plant the beans next to your porch or put wires/string on wall/fence or use tent poles or anything random??