Oakmount mansion flats (rubbish in front garden)

Hi
Does anyone have contact details for the management company for the Oakmount Mansion flats. The rubbish littering the lawn next to their overflowing bins is very unsightly . Appreciate students may be moving out but this is not they way to leave unwanted items .

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
Looks to be OK now, but I agree - I went past the other day and there was some stuff there. Also it looks like they do put waste in the wrong bins - plenty of cardboard in the genertal waste and probably vice versa. Hopefully our proposed green event can help with this kind of thing although I'm not holding my breath in regard to the landlords.

But still, you would think they have an interest in making theior properties look attractive.

Cathie

Resident
They are managed by Posh Pads and Jonathan emails them almost daily with pictures and complaints. Occasionally they send a van round to collect the extra rubbish, but leave the bins overflowing so the problem just continues! The animals then tear the bin bags apart during the night and the rubbish gets strewn across the lawn and road.

We actually had a visit from one of the new students yesterday (lovely young lady) who was very apologetic and has escalated herself to the agents, threatening not to pay if they don’t sort it out, so perhaps there might be more action…..

On a separate note, there was a large group of the new students partying late Friday and Saturday evenings in the ‘bike shed’ at the back of the flats. We went round at 12:30 on Friday and politely asked them to quieten down, which they did, however they were doing the same on Saturday night so we went round again to ask them to keep the noise down as it was really late. Again, they did quieten down after we’d asked them to, but we are hoping this isn’t a sign to come with the new students who have just moved in.

The girl who came round was also apologetic about the noise and unhappy about it as her flat were not involved.

Jonathan C

Resident
Hi everyone

Thanks for starting this thread. I was just coming on to start one myself, only to find that Ed and Charlie beat me to it. The bins/rubbish have been a real problem, increasingly so in recent months, so if anyone can email/call in to report problems, that would help.

Contact details as follows:
I frequently send emails with photos about the bins/rubbish to both email addresses above. I also called reception today and spoke to a nice lady called ilona (ilona@poshpads.com) who was very apologetic and helpful - although I remain sceptical this will translate into concrete short-term and-term resolution.

We have also reported it to the the Environment Health at the Council because it's a recurring problem and we are concerned that it is attracting rodents, although they were keen to shift the problem to a different department so may hit a dead end...

Does OTRA have any insight or suggestions on how we might be able to escalate this problem if doesn't get resolved?

Thanks

Jonathan

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
Does OTRA have any insight or suggestions on how we might be able to escalate this problem if doesn't get resolved?

Thanks
Indeed this is very much on our radar. It's good that residents are continuing to complain, but OTRA will also be making representations on behalf of everyone.

What we need to do is to have as complete a photographic history as possible, please do send in any photos you have (with dates). The contact form doesn't allow attachments, so please email directly using the link at the bottom of the page below the contact form here:

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
we are concerned that it is attracting rodents, although they were keen to shift the problem to a different department so may hit a dead end...
And this is from today. We will be cobtact Posh pads and SCC. It is smelling bad. I spoke to a tenant who has just moved in and he is going to say something.

I have just re[orted again to SCC and to Poshpads.

For the SCC form you need the postcode which is:

SO17 1EB

IMG_3750.jpg

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
Fast response from Posh Pads today:

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your email.
I have contacted Southampton city council today to ensure a new bin gets placed, they’ve said it takes up to 5 working days for them to get back to me.

We went last week to tidy up the excess rubbish so it’s something we are keen to sort out.

Jonathan C

Resident
What we need to do is to have as complete a photographic history as possible, please do send in any photos you have (with dates). The contact form doesn't allow attachments, so please email directly using the link at the bottom of the page below the contact form here:

Thanks Pete. I'll gather the (extensive) photographic evidence ASAP and share it via the contact form.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
And another reponse from someone else at PP

Good afternoon Pete,

Thank you for your email.
I have liaised with the maintenance manager about this issue, and she has informed me that the rubbish was removed after we had been informed by the tenants of the overflow, but that the situation had worsened once again.

She has also informed me that she is happy to resend our waste removal service as a temporary solution, but it has been agreed that we need to come to a more long-term solution with the council to ensure it isn’t happening every week.

We will continue to monitor the area and have requested more bins to be provided by Southampton City Council, as the current amount clearly does not suffice.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused, please do not hesitate to contact the office if you have any further queries.

Looking good but we don't rest until it is deemed to be solved.

And I think an issue could be that the foxes now know where there is good pickings and I can imagine they team up to spill the contents of the bins. They are very wily those foxes, and the rats are waiting for the leftovers.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
BTW, I cahnged the titile of this thread as we have got into the discussion of the rubbish)

I got a quite unpleasant phone call from SCC Environmental Health telling me that I should not have contacted them because they already had been contacted (but how was I to know that) and besides it isn't their department but "Waste."

That was ridiculous because all I did was search SCC website for the right form to report rubbish (health hazard) in garden and it went through to EH.

She then said that my report had been passed on to "Waste" so please don't contact her again. I did say politely that if the issue is still there in a week or two, then I will contact again via the appropriate form for rubbish in garden that is a heath hazard, to which her only response was "whatevar..."

Anyway, be that as it may, the garden is now nice, thanks to (I think) the helpful people at Posh Pads or maybe some of the tenants.

If only SCC Environmental Health were as nice and helpful as Posh Pads.

But we will continue to keep an eye on it.

Jonathan C

Resident
Thanks Pete for helping with this. I also had an 'interesting' call from SCC Environmental Health - a Mrs Baker if I recall correctly - with the same ridiculous message.

As you say, the garden has been cleaned up, so that's good. I think Poshpads eventually got round to it on Thursday morning (1 full week after I first reported it to them). Apparently they have ordered some new bins from the Council, so perhaps that might help avoid repeats. We shall see.

Thanks for your help with this.

Jonathan