• OTRA Coronavirus Neighbourly Care

Please look out for the more vulnerable residents - help with shopping, keep in touch if they are in isolation.

If you would like any help with supplies or just a chat, we have a list of volunteers see here

We have started a discussion on the forum for residents who are registered with OTRA see here

Important News! Plant Sale and Coffee Morning - Planned for 16 May 2020 - Change of Plan

Clare Price

Resident
I had expected to spend this morning delivering invitations to the annual event but obviously we can't hold this so thought it would be a good idea to update you on our plans as we are still growing seeds for our allotment and will have spares plus we had started growing on cuttings before the lock down and some are nearly ready.

From next weekend we plan to put a few plants outside for swap or sale with honesty box. I will add in the seedlings as they become ready. (I am expecting to have tomatoes, courgettes, pumpkins and runner beans plus some bedding plants - they have all germinated but are still very small.)

I will make a quarantine area on the porch for donated plants to wait 3 days before putting out so that there can be no infection left on the plastic - so please feel free to drop off plants to share as usual. I will also put out at "pot return bin" as usual for recycling flower pots.

Any proceeds this year I would like to donate to SCRATCH the charity in Southampton that runs the food bank.

Keep Gardening - Chris and Clare Price

Carol Thomas

Resident
S
I had expected to spend this morning delivering invitations to the annual event but obviously we can't hold this so thought it would be a good idea to update you on our plans as we are still growing seeds for our allotment and will have spares plus we had started growing on cuttings before the lock down and some are nearly ready.

From next weekend we plan to put a few plants outside for swap or sale with honesty box. I will add in the seedlings as they become ready. (I am expecting to have tomatoes, courgettes, pumpkins and runner beans plus some bedding plants - they have all germinated but are still very small.)

I will make a quarantine area on the porch for donated plants to wait 3 days before putting out so that there can be no infection left on the plastic - so please feel free to drop off plants to share as usual. I will also put out at "pot return bin" as usual for recycling flower pots.

Any proceeds this year I would like to donate to SCRATCH the charity in Southampton that runs the food bank.

Keep Gardening - Chris and Clare Price

Malcolm White

Committee
Wonderful idea - thanks Clare.

Just one small point - Basics Bank is run by Southampton City Mission not Scratch. We help there twice a week and they will be delighted with any donations. Thank you.

Clare Price

Resident
Wonderful idea - thanks Clare.

Just one small point - Basics Bank is run by Southampton City Mission not Scratch. We help there twice a week and they will be delighted with any donations. Thank you.
Whoops - thought that as soon as I’d posted message - thanks

Wonderful! Perhaps we should all plant some extra seeds today, to donate when ready.
I am nurturing an excess of tomatoes, so will bring when they are a bit bigger.

Clare Price

Resident
Perfect- some plants are ready but some are a couple of weeks off so I expect this to go on for quite a few weeks and if we’re let out by 16 May I’ll just do a coffee morning so you can see our new greenhouse- unfortunately I think it more likely it will be longer than that.

Thanks Clare! I too have many tomato seedlings, and a couple of other bits and bobs. I’m totally new to growing things though so no idea what I’m doing...

Peter Bevan

Secretary
Committee
We have some surplus Nerine tubers, in leave now, and pink blooms in October. They aren't cheap in garden centres!
Any interest? If so, I'll pot some up.