• About the forum

There are various help topics in the first section (WELCOME) of the forum. Here you can learn how to add a small photo of your self (Avatar) or add an automatic signature to all your messages. Please do not be embarrassed about asking in FORUM SUPPORT what you think are very obvious questions - you'll be surprised how many people will thank you!

At any time to get back to the main index click on the "Forum " tab or the "back" button of your brower.

Click on the X at the top right to dismiss this notice

Polite Parking Letter

Peter Bevan

Neighbourhood Watch
I think it's an offence (though I stand to be corrected) to block access to a driveway? Take photos of offending vehicles, with registration number, date, time, duration, and contact council for advice/assistance?

I think it's an offence (though I stand to be corrected) to block access to a driveway? Take photos of offending vehicles, with registration number, date, time, duration, and contact council for advice/assistance?
That's what I would do.

I think when this was discussed at a committee meeting years ago the letter was suggested as a first step. But if it was me I'd miss out that step.

It is alsopossible to apply for T lines in the road that apparently do put people off, I can't remember whether there is any issue with the conservation status. Maybe we can revisit this at a committee meeting or AGM.

I have a different issue with parking, living in Leigh Rd we do not suffer so much from people parking in our road.

However, I have started to find it difficult to safely exit from Leigh Rd into Oakmount as people are parking right up to the street corners, which makes it very difficult to see if any traffic is coming. There are frequently vans parked on the corners, which makes the situation even worse. Should we consider asking for double yellows to be pained around these corners? I know that it is illegal to park on a corner, but this seems to be ignored and a visual deterrent might just help.
I do seriously feel that there will be a crash here one day as it is sometimes impossible to see cars coming down Oakmount when pulling out and there is no place to take avoiding action.

I believe that it is not actually an offence to block a driveway, but if you are blocked in you can complain to the council to have the car moved.

Last year every day for 3 months I photographed people’s cars who had parked across the white lines at the junction of Westbourne Crescent and Oakmount Avenue often with dustbin lorries or ambulances struggling to get passed - I was just hoping for parking lines on the corners but the council wrote and said because there had never been an accident it wasn’t a priority. My car has been damaged twice while parked outside my house but that didn’t count. I don’t want Residents parking but I would like some yellow lines and I would support the triangle paying for them but not sure who else would support this. Clare Price 38 Oakmount.