• OTRA Coronavirus Neighbourly Care

If you would like any help with supplies or just a chat, we have a list of volunteers and Coronavirus info see here

Protecting the Isolated and Vulnerable During the Covid 19 Outbreak

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
If anyone is self isolating or vulnerable we have a team of volunteers who are happy to run errands, get supplies, walk dogs or just have a friendly supportive chat.

You can ring volunteers directly if number is published, or contact them via any of the street reps.

Volunteers

• Charlotte Gardner Westbourne 07984 158083
  • John Marshall & Jennifer Marshall 02380 582380
  • Christine and Martin Benning (Prescriptions and phone support) 07956 040621 07811 572062
  • Claire Brand 07825 162367 (dog walking & prescriptions)
  • Andrew Christensen 07366078215
  • Carlotta 07340 718856
  • Gulzar Sharif
  • Helen Willis 07710541322
  • Vijay 07984240563 (text or whatsapp)
  • Jo Doyle
  • Carol Thomas 02380394874 (dog walking)
  • Fraser Sturt
  • Isabel Clarke 02380552546
  • Steve George 07772 532451 Nat George 07968 369311
  • Ruth & John O'Dea 02380678656
  • Derek Willis 07712 864795
Street reps
  • Dave White (Oakmount Ave) 07504 561 438 or 02380 919 234
  • Kate Whyley (Blenheim Ave) 07776250588
  • Josie Brown (Blenheim Ave) 07557 006988
  • Chris Romilly (Leigh Rd)07425 140424
  • Ceri Dunn (Westbourne Crescent) 02380 554363 07828 440054

EDIT: we have now made it so that all registered residents are subscribed to this thread so will get email notifications of new messages. (But note that in order to continue getting notifications you need to follow the link from the notification to the actual thread on the forum)

If you do not want to receive the emails you can disable them by clicking on the Unwatch button at the top of the thread, see illustration:
watch.jpg

Then click on the Unwatch button in the popup:

Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 12.01.25.png

Please post here if you would like to help out in any way.

Last edited:

Vijay

Resident
I do think that maybe we could direct efforts into looking in on eachother, etc. Making sure the vulnerable among us, etc. are okay. You can accuse me of self interest here as I suffer from a few chronic illnesses & Shivani is due soon, but there are also many elderly amongst us who would be better off staying at home, whilst people with cars do the shopping etc. because I highly suspect that we'll be going into a lockdown by May & only allowed out for essential shopping & work. My employer has me starting to work from home, this week.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
One of the things that is easy to forget - washing your hands after touching anything someone else might have touched, e.g. letters, parcels, shopping (whether from the shop or online deliveries - somebody touched it) .

Clean doorbells, doorknobs. Anything a visitor touches: light switches, tables, chairs.

Also: if you have some to spare - please share some of those crucial items (soap, toliet paper etc.) other people may have been unable to get due to all the panic buying!

Last edited:

Vijay

Resident
Yep - I don't drive, but give me a but please text me if you need something from Portswood, maybe the pharmacy or groceries from Iceland etc. I'll drop them on your doorstep. I've just put mobile number is in my about section if you click on my name on here. Happy to give a video chat if people are alone in self isolation, too (or anyone who just wants a chat)

But I am still technically working & my shifts change regularly so please send me a text message first, so we can schedule a time.

For non-members, maybe something like this would be a good idea to reach them https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-51880695

Last edited:

Dave White

Committee
Conservation
We can offer help for shopping, prescriptions etc no problem. Maybe we use the street rep system, Pete, to coordinate a little. As Sarah says, there will be some youngsters around the place available to help.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
Yep - I don't drive, but give me a but please text me if you need something from Portswood
That's great thanks
Can we consider offering help through OTRA website?
yes, the website can be really useful
Are most people registered with Otra?
But this is the problem I'd say it's less than 50% way fewer when we include the flats
We would be happy to pick up shopping or prescriptions etc if anyone is housebound
Great, thanks
Maybe we use the street rep system, Pete, to coordinate a little.
I think we need to get this coordinated and a strategy planned - I'm speaking with Sarah tomorrow as I'd like to get some guidance from a health expert and will report back.

We will form a Virus working group, get the street rep system back - leafletting, info, shopping etc....and give anyone interested and with time for this some specific jobs and/or areas to deal with - I think it can work best if we get some efficencey here but meanwhile everyone just looking out for each other great.

Vijay

Resident
Yep - I don't drive, but give me a but please text me if you need something from Portswood,
I offered this just this morning & it seems the government has this afternoon, just confined me home as an "at-risk group" (I'm asthmatic amongst a bunch of other chronic illnesses), and my better half home as she's expecting. Neither of us is meant to leave, execpt for exercise or to get essentials.

Obviously it's a fast moving situation, stay safe, everyone.

kate whyley

Resident
Hi - we’d created some leaflets to post just down our road (Blenhiem) to offer help - But would rather coordinated efforts, so let us know anything we can do: No car, two young children, so current thinking is writing letters and delivering newspapers/posting mail ( Kate at 54, Blenhiem)

Josie Brown

Secretary
Committee
Conservation
I'm very happy to be a street rep for BA - would rather I was one of two (or more - whatever people think necessary?). Also v happy to be involved in thinking how it's all organised - but not keen on face to face meetings.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
A big thanks to everyone volunteering. Later today I will be setting up a separate communication system for volunteers to organise rotas, safe leafletting, contact phone numbers etc.

Ideally we now need somebody to volunteer to co-ordinate a working group. Anyone?

kate whyley

Resident
A big thanks to everyone volunteering. Later today I will be setting up a separate communication system for volunteers to organise rotas, safe leafletting, contact phone numbers etc.

Ideally we now need somebody to volunteer to co-ordinate a working group. Anyone?
Pete there’s an exceptionally well curated city wide initiative which is very efficiently co ordinating volunteers: Posting flyers and providing key info to local residents: you sign up to a road & express how you can help, each road ‘host’ sets up a WhatsApp group for volunteers on that road - worth checking out If particular resources can be pooled or called upon:
Facebook group - offers of vans, prescription collection, many things

Dave White

Committee
Conservation
Kate - this looks good. Maybe we can use their WhatsApp group to be the communication among our volunteers, rather than double up.
Dave