• OTRA Coronavirus Neighbourly Care

If you would like any help with supplies or just a chat, we have a list of volunteers and Coronavirus info see here

Protecting the Isolated and Vulnerable During the Covid 19 Outbreak

RichardSharman

Resident
Diane and I are over 70 so classify as "aged", but we are fit and healthy (especially as I continue to recover from my operation recently) and want to try to maintain our independence as much as possible. On the other hand, with our age and my asthma history we neither of us want to contract this particular virus as the risk of complications is clearly significant. So it is very comforting to hear that many people in the triangle are happy to help people like us, and we are very grateful to those who have already approached us - your thoughts are much appreciated. Diane made use of the Waitrose "elderly hour" 8am-9am today and it seemed to be very well run with checks on the people who turned up, and limited entry numbers. There were some empty shelves, however. We'll probably try that again next week, but there could come a time when we need help, and it's great to know that there is this possibly. Thank you all.

regards, Richard

StevieG

Resident
Hi, we are very happy to help out with shopping/errands and anything else that helps people stay safe, so please add us to the helpers list.

Steve George (07772532451)
Nat George (07968369311)

Victoria

Resident
Everyone who’s over 70, however fit and well, is in the high risk group so please, please avoid going out if you possibly can - apart from to exercise. There are lots of people here willing to help so there shouldn’t be any need for anyone to go to the supermarket or other shops.
I don’t want to scaremonger, but as a frontline doctor I know that there are going to be difficult times ahead, and hard decisions to be made. Please don’t put yourselves at risk. We need to protect each other and also the resources in the nhs.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
Have just received details of this App for self reporting symptoms from GP daughter Charlotte. Best wishes,
Christine

Help slow the spread of #COVID19 and identify at risk cases sooner by self-reporting your symptoms daily, even if you feel well . Download the app
https://covid.joinzoe.com/

Diane and I are over 70 so classify as "aged", but we are fit and healthy (especially as I continue to recover from my operation recently) and want to try to maintain our independence as much as possible. On the other hand, with our age and my asthma history we neither of us want to contract this particular virus as the risk of complications is clearly significant. So it is very comforting to hear that many people in the triangle are happy to help people like us, and we are very grateful to those who have already approached us - your thoughts are much appreciated. Diane made use of the Waitrose "elderly hour" 8am-9am today and it seemed to be very well run with checks on the people who turned up, and limited entry numbers. There were some empty shelves, however. We'll probably try that again next week, but there could come a time when we need help, and it's great to know that there is this possibly. Thank you all.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard and Diane,

I am on the OTRA volunteer list for errand support and am also registering for the recently launched NHS Volunteer Responder scheme. I am happy to run groceries for you. Just let me know. 07366078215. From the information you have provided, I do not think it is advisable for you go to Waitrose yourselves at this current time.

RichardSharman

Resident
I am suitably chastised ! Yes, Victoria, you are right, and my daughter (in NZ) is also berating us for going out ! But I am sure everyone realises that we, of the grandparent generation, have spent our lives looking after others, our children when they were young, our parents when they were old, and we've never ourselves been at risk of anything much. So, it's hard for us to re-orientate to the changed circumstances of the current situation. In fact, this year was the first time I was ever in hospital for anything ! But I certainly don't want to succumb to anything now. We are in awe of the great work being done by the front line health workers of all kinds.

So thank you, Steve, Andrew, and Carol, for your offers, it is very much appreciated, and we may well need that help soon. As a result of a certain amount of cautious retention (well, alright, "stockpiling") during each of the various Brexit scares, we are reasonably well provided with non-perishable goods, but of course it is the perishable items, fresh fruit and veg, milk, eggs, and so on that we are likely to run short of (as I fully expect are others). Thanks again, and we will be in touch.

Malcolm White

Committee
We have friends living on the Isle of Wight. Their daughter is currently in Southampton General Hospital with complications awaiting the birth of twins. Her husband is currently able to see her but obviously cannot travel from the island. Does anybody know of potential short term accommodation that he could use anywhere in the Southampton area? It would need to be self contained as he is going into the hospital and she is vulnerable. I think he would consider anything that is safe. Thank you.

If anyone is self isolating or vulnerable we have a team of volunteers who are happy to run errands, get supplies, walk dogs or just have a friendly supportive chat.

You can ring volunteers directly if number is published, or contact them via any of the street reps.

• Charlotte Gardner Westbourne 07984 158083
  • John Marshall & Jennifer Marshall 02380 582380
  • Christine and Martin Benning (Prescriptions and phone support) 07956 040621 07811 572062
  • Claire Brand 07825 162367 (dog walking)
  • Andrew Christensen 07366078215
  • Carlotta 07340 718856
  • Helen Willis 07710541322
  • Vijay 07984240563 (text or whatsapp)
  • Jo Doyle
  • Carole Thomas 02380394874 (dog walking)
  • Fraser Sturt
  • Isabel Clarke 02380552546
  • Steve George 07772 532451 Nat George 07968 369311
  • Ruth & John O'Dea 02380678656
Street reps
  • Dave White (Oakmount Ave) 07504 561 438 or 02380 919 234
  • Kate Whyley (Blenheim Ave) 07776250588
  • Josie Brown (Blenheim Ave) 07557 006988
  • Chris Romilly (Leigh Rd)07425 140424
  • Ceri Dunn (Westbourne Crescent) 02380 554363 07828 440054

EDIT: we have now made it so that all registered residents are subscribed to this thread so will get email notifications of new messages. (But note that in order to continue getting notifications you need to follow the link from the notification to the actual thread on the forum)

If you do not want to receive the emails you can disable them by clicking on the Unwatch button at the top of the thread, see illustration:
View attachment 268

Then click on the Unwatch button in the popup:

View attachment 269

Please post here if you would like to help out in any way.
Hi Pete was not aware of this website so I've only just joined. I'm already doing some shopping for my neighbours on Blenheim so happy to group with others if that helps. If there's a checklist /order sheet which people can fill in with their needs that would be useful, or it's pretty easy to create one. This also helps avoid raised eyebrows when at the till in shops!
Cecilia

Ceri

Resident
Glass and garden waste collection suspended
From yesterday's Daily Echo:

Southampton City Council will suspend kerbside glass and garden waste collection services from tomorrow.

The bulky waste collection service has also been temporarily halted while general waste and recycling collections for all households and flats will remain unchanged.

But the council said services will be reviewed regularly as circumstances change.
The maintenance of public grounds, including grass cutting, trimming and pruning services will also be reduced in order to focus on health and safety priority work such as highway verges and keeping pathways and access routes clear, according to the authority.

Residents have also been asked to disinfect the handles of wheelie bins after they have put them out for collection.

Hello, I live on Blenheim Avenue and just wanted to say I'm very happy to help in any way- picking up groceries or prescriptions (I have a car), happy to chat if people feel isolated, etc. I had misunderstood and thought this group was only for people officially in the association so put a note through half the houses here on Blenheim Avenue with my personal number so that I can help, but was told I should check this group so I didn't finish distributing on the street. Am happy to join in with anything that's already going on! Perhaps a whatsapp group for Blenheim Avenue might be helpful? Or is there already one?

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
A huge big thank you to all the street reps. I apologise for not writing sooner, we have had our own brush with the Long Covid. It's easy to think we are over the worst, but it's just at these times it's easy to let our guard down. I think we all know how close we are to it all starting up again.

By now I think everyone who needs to has their "Covid routine" in place in regard to friends, family, carers, volunteers and OTRA street reps (again, thank you all!). Although there are no more shopping requests for us, I'm keeping in touch with the vulnerable and isolating residents of South Oakmount, I suggest we all still check on people we've identified as vulnerable.

It seems odd to mention positives in this situation, but in looking out for the vulnerable I have to say we have met and got socially acquainted with residents we probably would not have done in healthier times.

And once more a big THANK YOU!