• OTRA Coronavirus Neighbourly Care

If you would like any help with supplies or just a chat, we have a list of volunteers and Coronavirus info see here

OTRA Noticeborad Retail Discount Scheme for OTRA members

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
We are hoping to initiate a local discount scheme for OTRA members. As we do not have an annual subscription (hence no funds for printing membership cards at the moment) we intend to issue membership authentication via an email which you can print out and show to the retailer as proof that you qualify.

Over the next few weeks we'll be asking local retailers if they would like to participate. We could also extend this to tradespeople, especially those who can offer expertise in regard to our specific conservation requirements.

I'm happy to say we can kickstart this with an offer from Ashleigh Sightcare (Opticians) in Portswood. They have offered to give a discount of 10% to new customers. Keep an eye on the website for more participating businesses.

Until we make this more formal (maybe via membership cards) if you would like a discount voucher email please contact me via the the contact form or telephone. Click here

It may take a while to process, so please be patient if you don't receive a reply immediately, but preference will be given to anyone wanting to use the discount right now with Ashleigh Sightcare so please mention if that is the case.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or want to help with the scheme please reply in the thread below.

We'd love to have offered a 25% discount on a new Jaguar, but as you may know, sadly they have relocated outside of the area.

This is a nice idea. With regards to tradespeople, I can highly recommend the ones that we used (and most of them are ones we used on our old house too), but I feel uneasy asking them for a loyalty discount. They are generally fairly priced anyway, and work on a time and materials basis.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
but I feel uneasy asking them for a loyalty discount. They are generally fairly priced anyway, and work on a time and materials basis.
It is a bit more tricky in regard to contractors (builders) and tradespeople, especially as for most jobs there is a quote for the job and for many they are just giving the best quote they can just to survive in the current climate.

I do like the idea of some kind of approved tradesperson list though. And in a non pandemic world there are plenty of bits of our house that could be examined for workmanship.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
It looks like we will have to curtail this scheme as it could conflict with the HRA member benefits, so for now we'll leave it at the Ashleigh Sightcare discount. Sorry about that.

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
I would prefer recommended rather than approved.
Approved opens up too much of a legal minefield IMO, however a disclaimer is worded. Even recommended would have to have a very strong disclaimer in the event of something going wrong.

However I will need to check with HRA if the tradespeople discount is OK.