• OTRA Coronavirus Neighbourly Care

If you would like any help with supplies or just a chat, we have a list of volunteers and Coronavirus info see here

OTRA Noticeborad Santa in the Triangle (on a milk float)

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
OT resident Cecilia is organising a Santa drive by in her milk float. Yes, milk float! (you may have seen it in Blenheim Avenue) . All SCC licenced and safety checked:

The objective being to bring a Christmas feel to the streets and allow children to see Santa. Collecting for Communicare, a Southampton charity.

It will take place on:

• Tue (Bitterne)
  • Wed (Portswood/Highfield inc Oakmount Triangle)
  • Thur (Shirley)

Approx 5 - 7 but we'll update this thread when we know approx time in the triangle. But you may well hear it approaching anyway. Please alert your children, grandchildren, great grandchildren. All welcome, (naughty or nice).

We will be playing xmas music from the milk float and have a weather-proof amplifier (Tks Jo) BUT if anyone knows musicians please ask them to get in touch and join in (but sadly singing is not allowed due to COVID).

Kids & other halves can join, my lot have decided to cycle (they will be faster than the milk float)!! Tinsel on bicycles can be fun, hey!

Thanks, Cecilia

Last edited:

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
Sounds fun can you tell me where in Shirley my grandchildren live there and I can tell them about it x

From Cecilia

-Thursday Shirley. As it’s Xmas Eve we could start at 4:30. Suggest we meet in Westrow Gardens*. Route will include Hill Lane, Wilton Road, etc.

*Why Westrow Gardens? The famous comedian Benny Hill was born and lived at 22 Westrow Gardens for many years. Exactly 49 years ago, his song ‘Ernie The Fastest Milkman in The West’ became Xmas n.1 on British radio...so it just felt right to start outside his house and maybe play that tune!

OT resident Cecilia is organising a Santa drive by in her milk float. Yes, milk float! (you may have seen it in Blenheim Avenue) . All SCC licenced and safety checked:

The objective being to bring a Christmas feel to the streets and allow children to see Santa. Collecting for Communicare, a Southampton charity.

It will take place on:

• Tue (Bitterne)
  • Thur (Shirley)

Approx 5 - 7 but we'll update this thread when we know approx time in the triangle. But you may well hear it approaching anyway. Please alert your children, grandchildren, great grandchildren. All welcome, (naughty or nice).

We will be playing xmas music from the milk float and have a weather-proof amplifier (Tks Jo) BUT if anyone knows musicians please ask them to get in touch and join in (but sadly singing is not allowed due to COVID).

Kids & other halves can join, my lot have decided to cycle (they will be faster than the milk float)!! Tinsel on bicycles can be fun, hey!

Thanks, Cecilia

It will take place on:

• Tue (Bitterne)
  • Thur (Shirley)

Thanks, Cecilia
Pete forgot to mention who Santa will be!

rgh

Committee
Conservation
Will the route for Wednesday include Orchards Way? There are lots of families with children there and I am sure that they would love it. Could you let me know approx time if you are going there.

Brilliant idea BTW. I am old enough to remember Ernie with his milk float. I thought it was terrible at the time but it does have a certain charming humour I suppose. Anyway, good on you for doing this.

We will include Orchards Way and publish the route shortly . Yesterday’s event in Bitterne was a huge success with 400 people lining the streets and children seeing The Man himself! We have a samba band tonight as well so you’ll hear us coming!

roger brown

Resident
Brilliant idea and good luck with your perambulation!

When I was at Solent we seriously considered a posthumous honorary degree for BH.

Roger Brown

Pete Thomas

Committee
Conservation
Cecilia has just sent me through the route

IMG_7258.JPG