Sunflower competition

Clare Price

Resident
Note to all - wind forecast- stake your sunflowers! We didn’t have very promising sunflower this year but the wind has snapped it off!

Also due to some residents going on holiday I have been asked to measure a couple of entries early. I am planning an early measure on Sunday morning 25 July 10 am and the main measure on Saturday morning 31 July from 10 am.

Let me know a time on either day if you need me to visit your back garden otherwise Christopher and I will walk round and measure front garden entries between 10 and 12 on Saturday 31 July.

Good Growing

Clare

Hi Clare, mine is also in the back garden, 9 Leigh, I can provide the double extended ladder and help with the measuring. Is the early measurements also like the early knockout stages of the Euro football with just a couple in the final/main measurement on the 31st.
Regards,
Stephen.

Clare Price

Resident
Yesterday I did a “pre-measure” walk round the Triangle to get an idea of numbers and there are some super sunflowers growing and some that could do with a bit more watering!

So this is just a reminder that if you will be away on 31 July and your plant is in the back garden I will measure from 10 on Sunday 25. The main measuring will be on 31 July 10 - 12 and if your plant is in back garden let me know if you haven’t already.

(In the event of a tie both plants will be awarded champion status but we will measure girth for overall “Triangle Star” status.)

Keep watering

naylor38

Resident
Clare: Fran has grown a pretty tall one in our back garden at 12 BA and we will be here to give you access on 31 July. We are unfortunately unable to mount a protection (from wind) rota! Bernard

Clare, ours suffered youthful trauma (slug?) but has recovered last two weeks, so I'm optimistically thinking could be a contender (though knowing Fran's green-fingers, not a promising one)! It's in our back garden; let me know time Saturday & I'll open our back gate (entry-passage to garages behind Andy & Lyn's).

We are probably not allowed an entry as we cannot import plants from France anymore ;-) but I thought I'd send this one anyway. Clare, this is from seeds from the sunflower you gave us last year following the plant sale, just before we left for France. We measured it to be a bit above 2.7 m!
P1100956.JPG

Clare Price

Resident
Dea
We are probably not allowed an entry as we cannot import plants from France anymore ;-) but I thought I'd send this one anyway. Clare, this is from seeds from the sunflower you gave us last year following the plant sale, just before we left for France. We measured it to be a bit above 2.7 m!
View attachment 476
Dear Fabrice

Of course we can count your entry! Due to the amount of interest we have added some new categories and you can enter the “out of area” ie not growing in the Triangle. Following the plant sale quite a few Highfield residents asked so we created this category! I will put your entry down as 8 feet 10 inches.

I will post the results on OTRA website on Sunday and put a notice outside our house.

We were sorry to learn you are moving - best wishes for the future - do pop in for us to say goodbye if you get a chance.

Clare & Chris

Clare Price

Resident
Clare, ours suffered youthful trauma (slug?) but has recovered last two weeks, so I'm optimistically thinking could be a contender (though knowing Fran's green-fingers, not a promising one)! It's in our back garden; let me know time Saturday & I'll open our back gate (entry-passage to garages behind Andy & Lyn's).
On my list. CP

Sheila Bevan

Resident
Sadly I have to report the demise this afternoon of our magnificent sunflower - a victim of the wind! Should there be a posthumous category it could be entered into, it stood at 2.78 metres.

Clare Price

Resident
Oh dear what sad news. Could you mend him and prop him up?

I did do a walk round a couple of days ago and saw him so I will accept your measure of 2.78 as 9 ft 1.5 inches posthumously- very well done.! Cp

Clare Price

Resident
RESULTS
Congratulations to Bob and Sue for their 10 ft giant
2nd at 9 ft - 18 Oakmount
Joint 3rd at 8 ft 6 in - 8 Leigh,1 Oakmount, 12 Blenheim and 16 Blenheim

Rosettes will be delivered this week

Apologies if we missed you I have attached a spread sheet so you can see how your plant measures up (it is a very old version of excel so hope you can open it)
We have photographic evidence of all the entries
There were 36 entries in total (sadly several had already been eaten by slugs (cant be helped) or blown over - (better staking next year)

Thank you and well done to all growers

Attachments

• Sunflower Marking.xlsx
    17.5 KB · Views: 50