When do I need planning permission?

In any Conservation Area, special consideration is given to planning applications, and permission has to be obtained before a house can be demolished. The Oakmount Triangle also has Article 4 (2) protection, which means that permission needs to be sought for many minor works which would affect the public’s view of the houses. This only applies to the pre-1939 houses, and not to the fourteen post-1945 houses, which continue to have ’permitted development rights’, nor to the three blocks of flats, which have no ‘permitted development rights’ anyway.

Some benefits:

  • Although this means you may need to apply for planning permission for things that you may not need to in other areas, the good news is that residents in a conservation area do not need to pay the usual fee.
  • The character is preserved, and so the value of your property will not be reduced by the kind of large developments we have seen in Winn Road and Westwood Road.

General Guidelines

(Note that none of what we can tell you can be taken in any way as permission or authority to carry out works. Nor can this be assumed to be a comprehensive list). More detailed information about the features which give the triangle its character can be see in the Character Appraisal & Management Plan

Note that the permissions can apply to anything visible from a road, or public space so do not apply purely to the front of the building.

Planning permission required

  • Changing wall facing material (rendering, pebbledash, hanging tiles)
  • Painting unpainted walls facing the road
  • Replacement windows and doors
  • Replacement of gutters and downpipes
  • Installation or extension of hard-standing for vehicles
  • New front path or driveway
  • Paving over or hard surfacing front garden
  • Removing/lopping of trees
  • Removing, alteration or replacement of front garden walls, gates, gateposts
  • Installation/erection of new front garden walls, gates, gateposts
  • Replacement, alteration or demolition of garage door/s
  • Replacement roofing,alterations to roof and eaves
  • Installation of roof lights
  • edition, alteration or removal of chimneys
  • Installation of solar panels, photovoltaic cells
  • Erection, alteration or removal of porches or verandas
  • Glazing to enclose porches or verandas
  • Installation of satellite dishes to front or (visible) side walls

Planning permission not required

  • Repainting doors or window frames. Different colours allowed.
  • Maintenance or repair using like-for-like* materials.
  • Planting of trees (but check with Building Control re: proximity to houses)
  • Planting, pruning or removal of shrubs
  • Landscaping in back garden

Planning permission possibly required

  • Installation of or changes to conservatories, extensions or sheds at rear

Note that several houses have had alterations made before conservation area status (e.g. replacement UPVC windows, guttering etc.) which would not be permitted now.

* In most cases good like for like materials are still available. All good builders will be able to source either new or reclaimed (imperial size) bricks, tiles etc. When roofs need maintenance, roofers are usually able to carefully remove and replace most of the original tiles. Where a percentage of new tiles need to be used it is advisable to mix them in randomly or use at the back of the house, in order to avoid odd looking new patches.

We are happy to answer questions or help with applications, please on the forum.

Comments are closed.
%d bloggers like this: